The Welcome Centre Shelter for Women welcomes donations of money and various items such as food and personal hygiene products, and we are always in need of volunteers as well. The best way to start donating to a local shelter is to give us a call and find out our current and most important needs.
Our Wish List
Food Bank Donations
We welcome and encourage donations from the community in the following areas. Your donations will help us as we make 12,045 meals this year by donating food and beverages.
- Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables
- Fresh or pre-packaged food donations (leftovers from meetings, conferences, or parties).
- All dairy products (cheese, milk, yogurt, butter, etc)
- Fresh or frozen meats (chicken, hamburger/beef, pork, turkey, deli meats, etc)
- Sliced white or brown bread
- Canned goods
- Juices, coffee, whitener, teas, hot chocolate
- Spices, sauces and condiments (mayo, mustard, ketchup, soya sauce, jam, peanut butter, salad dressing, etc)
- Kitchen necessities (plastic wrap, tin foil, coffee filters, paper towels, cleaning supplies).
Note: As per the Canadian Food Inspection Agency fresh/pre-packaged foods must be kept or stored at or below 4 degrees C (40 degrees F) and have a storage life of no longer than 3 days. Please call 519-971-7595 before bringing in fresh or pre-packaged food donations.
Items you can contribute to women who are living at the Welcome Centre Shelter for Women
- Socks, underwear, bras, and PJ’s
- Bus tickets, stamps, gift cards (grocery stores, Tim Horton’s, Shoppers, etc)
- Toiletries (shampoo, deodorant, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, brushes, combs, hair ties, etc)
The following are items that we currently have none of or are in very short supply this holiday season. We would greatly appreciate donations of any of the following:
- Non-perishable items for our food bank (canned goods, pasta, canned fruits & veggies)
- Women’s underwear, all sizes
- New, unused pillows
- Hair brushes
- Lip balm/Vaseline
- Nail clippers - which clients would keep as it is a sanitary issue
- Body sprays
- Any first aid supplies
- Pregnancy tests (can be bought at dollar stores)
- laundry soap
- toilet paper
Financial and Volunteer Donations
Items that assist us in providing our much needed services
- Your financial contribution, tax-deductible, will assist us in providing support services to women within the community, such as transportation to and from appointments, groceries, supplies for programming (craft items, educational materials, books, etc), various group support sessions, maintenance to facilities, and so on.
- Canadian Tire money (to assist in purchase of maintenance items and cleaning supplies)
- Donate your skills or services to the Centre by calling the above number
- Single bedding, towels and hand towels.